Thursday, November 1, 2018

Holiday Imperfection


I shared this on social media on October 30 and got lots of giggles, so I thought I'd share it here. Enjoy!


Typical and expected wording for social media post:
Yay! 48 monster pops made and cooling for the kids’ Halloween parties tomorrow!
Now for the realness:
1. I bought the rice crispy treats pre-made and we just decorated them.
2. I was reminded why I am a cook and not a pastry chef or candy maker. I HATE working with candy and candy melts.
3. I was also reminded why I generally kick everyone out of my kitchen when I’m cooking. This is the “Prayerful Kitchen” because cooking is a prayerful and meditative process of me. That said, God blessed me with three hyper-verbal children. Do you know how meditative cooking is with a 10-year-old talking the entire time? It’s not. Not in the slightest. I had to tell her that if she kept talking incessantly, I would have to kick her out if my kitchen.
As you look at all the perfect holiday pictures from now through New Years, remember most of them have a back story. You’re not seeing the temper tantrums, the relatives who aren’t on speaking terms, the burnt cake, the dropped turkey, and you certainly aren’t hearing the constant thread of curse words pouring through most everyone’s heads.
Friends, you got this. You don’t have to “do all the things.” Do what feeds you. Do what excites you. Do what fulfills you and your people. Don’t try to do it perfectly and don’t pretend that you did it perfectly.
Sending everyone love and light as we hop on the holiday train!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fleeting Life and Ash Wednesday

“Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.” from the imposition of ashes in the Ash Wednesday service, Episcopal Book o...