Monday, July 30, 2018

Taking Time and Grabbing Opportunities

At this point you may be wondering what would inspire, or posses, us to embark on a cross-country family camping trip. Some may have wondered why we wanted to go on our first long trip two years ago, even with the hotel stays and great restaurants. Five weeks is a long time to spend in close quarters with any group of people, especially when three of those people are ten and under. Let me tell you a little story that may help explain.
I was born in Greenville, SC, while my father was finishing his orthopedic residency. As his program ended, my parents realized it may be their last chance to take an extended vacation because he would have few opportunities after setting up his private practice. My parents long have lived by this rule of life: take advantage of the opportunities that come your way; you never know when they'll come again. In early summer of 1977, they knew they were facing one of their moments. My parents bought a camper van, loaded up my older brother and me and headed west. My brother was 4-years-old and I was 4-months-old.
Obviously, I don't remember anything from that trip but I've seen pictures. There's one of my brother smiling widely at the tiny fish on the end of his line and another of me squeeling, mouth gaping and a smile in my eyes. In another, my mom is wearing a maroon down jacket with her hair parted down the middle, tied up on either side under her ears in leather straps.
You may ask, "Just how far west did your parents take you?" Alaska. They drove my brother and me from South Carolina to Alaska, then back to Georgia, in a camper van.
I have been considering how to write about this trip and have lacked a hook. We didn't set out on this trip with a mission. None of us are pushing through our bucket list. This time, I'm not on sabbatical and we don't have a special grant. We aren't on a mission to taste the best dish of every state or write a camping cookbook. This is a trip without a mission.
So, why are we taking this trip all the way to California and back? Because we can. We have the luxury of time, a few extra dollars, and kids who are still up for anything. My parents taught me to try to lay my head down at night with no regrets. If we didn't take advantage of this oppourtnity, who knows when another like it will come again.
Friends, don't miss living. Don't let fear keep you from walking through the open door. There are only so many chances in life to go for it and don't risk looking back, thinking, "We should have done it when we could."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fleeting Life and Ash Wednesday

“Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.” from the imposition of ashes in the Ash Wednesday service, Episcopal Book o...